Daily Bread – Reading Through the Word of God in a Year
by Robert M. McCheyne (1813-1843)
(Message #33 from the book Memoirs of Mccheyne, Including His Letters and Messages)
Thy word is very pure; therefore thy servant loveth it.
Robert Murray McCheyne (1813-1843)
HE APPROACH OF ANOTHER YEAR stirs up within me new desires for your salvation, and for the growth of those of you who are saved. “God is my record how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ” [Philippians 1:8]. What the coming year is to bring forth, who can tell? There is plainly a weight lying on the spirits of all good men, and a looking for some strange work of judgment coming upon this land. There is need now to ask that solemn question: “If in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?” [Jeremiah 12:5]
Those believers will stand firmest who have no dependence upon self or upon creatures, but upon Jehovah our Righteousness. We must be driven more to our Bibles, and to the mercy seat, if we are to stand in the evil day. Then we shall be able to say, like David, “The proud have had me greatly in derision, yet have I not declined from thy law” [Psalm 119:51]. “Princes have persecuted me without a cause, but my heart standeth in awe of thy word” [Psalm 119:161].
It has long been in my mind to prepare a scheme of [click to continue…]
Podcast: Play in new window
Jim Kerwin’s Show Notes for Kernels of Wheat Podcast
Episode 012—Are You Fulfilling Bible Prophecy?
Are you helping to fulfill Bible prophecy by not reading the Scriptures regularly?
Prophecies You Don’t Want to Fulfill!
- Some Christians will fall away from the faith, drawn away by deceitful spirits, teaching of demons, and conscience-less liars — 1 Timothy 4:1-3
- The time will come [has come!] when some Christians won’t endure sound teaching, will want their “ears tickled,” and will turn their ears away from the truth — 2 Timothy 3:13–4:8.
- False Christs and false prophets will be bent on deceiving God’s people — Mark 13:21-23.
- The most sobering prophecy — the day when Jesus says to many of those who thought they were serving Him, “I never knew you; depart from Me.” — Matthew 7:21-23
Side note: The Adversary knows the Scriptures well, and can use them against you if you
don’t know them well. He had the audacity to attempt, unsuccessfully, to deceive Jesus in this way (Matthew 4:3-11
); what makes you think [click to continue…]
Podcast: Play in new window
Jim Kerwin, Bible Teacher for Kernels of Wheat
Show Notes for Kernels of Wheat Episode 000:
- Kernels of Wheat will be a weekly Bible-teaching podcast, lasting from 20 to 30 minutes each episode. It is a facet of the teaching ministry of Finest of the Wheat Teaching Fellowship.
- Our focus for the next few months, starting next week in Episode 001, will be a thorough exploration of the First Letter of John the Apostle.
- Scriptures referred to in this episode include:
- Amos 8:11-12—A famine of hearing the word of the Lord
- 2 Corinthians 2:17—The danger of hucksterizing God’s Word
- 2 Corinthians 4:1-2—Adulterating (watering down) God’s Word
- 2 Timothy 3:15—4:4—The important purposes of [click to continue…]