Show Notes for Grains from Gutteridge 004: The Most High and the Elohim (a message by Pastor Percy Gutteridge)
Main Scriptures quoted: Job 1; Job 2; Psalm 82
Background to the Book of Job
- Job didn’t belong to the tribes of Israel; he was “the greatest of the men of the East” (Arabia)
- Job wasn’t an Israelite; he was a Gentile.
- Looks beyond the narrow viewpoint of earth and opens
- God’s dealings with Job were not because he was self-righteous. God declared Job to be “perfect and upright.”
- Job was one of God’s faithful stewards.
- God wanted to enlarge Job spiritually through suffering.
The “Sons of God”—Elohim
- “Sons” in the sense of directly created by God, rather than through procreation
- Would be better to have left elohimuntranslated, as a proper name. Translated variously as:
- Sons of God
- Mighty ones
- Satan as one of the elohim
- The Council of the Elohim
- Job 1
- Job 2
- Psalm 82: “El standeth in the congregation of elohim.”
- Has nothing to do with the rulers of earth.
- God judges the elohim.
- Psalm 75:2
- Eliphaz’s words: Job 15:7-8, an allusion to the elohim
- These are the “principalities and power” of which Paul writes. [References were not given in the message, but include:
- Romans 8:38
- Ephesians 3:10
- Ephesians 6:12
- Colossians 1:16
- Colossians 2:15
- Why are they angry with us and why do they wrestle with us?
Qualifying to rule with Jesus
More Teaching by Percy Gutteridge:
Other free audio messages by Pastor Gutteridge are available on an audio directory on his Finest of the Wheat page, while a growing collection of his books and pamphlets, and message transcriptions, is available on a similar directory on the same page.
We thank Fellowship member Brian Fettes for providing the digitization of the original cassette tape through the services of Audioanalogy Musicworks of Canada.