Show Notes for Kernels of Wheat Episode 006: When Is Walking More Than Walking?
The Bible Concept of Walking
- How are we to understand “walk in darkness” and “walk in the light” in vv. 6-7?
- God's original depiction of fellowship: Genesis 3:8-9: “…they heard the qol [the voice] of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day…”
What We Learn from the Septuagint/LXX about Walking
- Hebrews 11:5 and Enoch's story
- How the Septuagint translators chose to translate “walking with God”
|Passage||Hebrew Old Testament||Greek Old Testament (LXX)|
|Genesis 5:22,24||Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah… Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.||And Enoch was well-pleasing to God, after his begetting Mathusala…And Enoch was well-pleasing to God, and was not found, because God translated him.|
[This is the correct reference; a typo in my recording notes read “5:9”]
|…Noah walked with God.||…Noe was well-pleasing to God.|
|Genesis 17:1||Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am God Almighty; walk before Me, and be blameless.”||And Abram was ninety-nine years old, and the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am thy God, be well-pleasing to Me and be blameless.”|
More “Walking” Phrases Equivalent to Walking in the Light
- Walking in the Spirit (e.g., Romans 8:1,4; Galatians 5:16,25)
- Walking by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7)
- Walking in good works (Ephesians 2:10)
- Walking in love (Ephesians 5:2)
- Walking in Christ (Colossians 2:6) and as He walked (1 John 2:6)
- Walking worthy of God (Ephesians 4:1; 1 Thessalonians 2:12)
- Walking in truth (2 John 4; 3 John 3,4)
- Walking in the commandments (2 John 6, and many OT verses)
Walking in the Light: a picture of sanctification, freedom from indwelling sin
Susannah Wesley's advice:
Being Led from Within:
- Letting the peace of Christ rule/judge/decide/arbitrate in the heart—Colossians 3:15
- Note: By “divine coincidence,” as I was writing up these notes, a pre-scheduled recording of Evangelist Thomas Cook's chapter The Arbiter of the Heart became available on the Finest of the Wheat website. If you'd like to pursue this particular aspect of our subject:
- “This is the way, walk in it” (Isaiah 30:21)
- “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in my statutes…” (Ezekiel 36:27)
For Next Week: Walking in Freedom
Your feedback is appreciated. Leave a comment (below) or drop us an e-mail.
More teaching by Jim Kerwin and others can be found on the Finest of the Wheat website.