Show Notes for Grains from Gutteridge Podcast
Episode #10: The Heavenly Race
In 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Paul takes as a pattern the Marathon footrace of the ancient Greeks, well known to and partly copied by the Romans. This is a stimulating message on the Heavenly Race. Comfort and encouragement are given from the Scriptures and Christian experience. You will be surprised as to how much the epistles have to say about the Heavenly Race. This is an excellent message to listen to after you have seen the film Chariots of Fire.
This message was delivered as the commencement address at Living Faith Bible College in 1986.
Other Scripture Passages Cited:
- Hebrews 12:1-2
- Luke 15:7, 25
- Hebrews 11
- Hebrews 12:22-24
- Exodus 20
- Deuteronomy 5
- Matthew 5-7
- 1 John 3:7
- Psalm 11:7
- 1 Corinthians 9:27
- Isaiah 40:31
- Philippians 3:7-15
- Revelation 20:6
- Matthew 5:28
- 2 Timothy 4:6-8
- 2 Peter 1:14
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
- Come Ye Yourselves Apart and Rest Awhile by Bishop Edward Bickersteth
- Safe Home, Safe Home in Port by Joseph the Hymnographer (or Joseph of the Studium)
- [At the very end of the closing prayer] Jesus, All-Atoning Lamb by Charles Wesley
- Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. Some of you have been listening to Pastor Gutteridge since the 1960s and still haven't heeded his encouragements to read this book. We present you with the thing you've been waiting for—your “round tuit”!
- The Heavenly Footman, also by John Bunyan
More Teaching by Percy Gutteridge:
Other free audio messages by Pastor Gutteridge are available on an audio directory on his Finest of the Wheat page, while a growing collection of his books and pamphlets, and message transcriptions, is available on a similar directory on the same page.
We thank Fellowship member Brian Fettes for providing the digitization of the original cassette tape through the services of Audioanalogy Musicworks of Canada.