Show Notes for Grains from Gutteridge Podcast Episode #13: Melchizedek
Pastor Percy Gutteridge prepared this message at the request of a number of people who wanted to know more about this great king-priest, Melchizedek, one of the greatest types of the Lord Jesus Christ revealed in the Scriptures. The purpose of this message is to unfold more of the perfection of the Lord Jesus Christ in His Kingly and High-Priestly character as the greater Melchizedek.
Scriptures Quoted Include:
- Genesis 14:17-24—15:1
- Psalm 110
- Hebrews 5:1-10
- Hebrews 6:16-20
- Hebrews 7:1-17
- Genesis 47:7-10
- 1 Corinthians 11:3; 15:22-28
- Hebrews 7:26-28
- Psalm 72:1-15
Various Theories Put Forward About Melchizedek
- Shem, son of Noah: view held by Luther and Melanchthon. (cursed be Canaan)
- An angel: view held by Origen (one of the early Church Fathers)
- A superior being to Christ, who was an intercessor for the angels, just as Christ interceded for men: view held by some Christian Jews of the Third Century A.D.
- A Christophany
- The first appearance of the Messiah. (A theory — two manifestations of the Messiah.)
- Japheth, or a son of Shem, or Job, or Enoch, or other guesses
None of these ideas has the support of Scripture. Listen to the whole episode for a full explanation.
We thank Fellowship member Brian Fettes for providing the digitization of the original cassette tape through the services of Audioanalogy Musicworks of Canada.