Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Show Notes for Grains from Gutteridge Podcast
Episode #11: The Ministries of John and Jesus
(Click on the image for a larger view.)
Consider the days mentioned in John 1 & 2. “The third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee” (John 2:1); but what about the other two days? Trace back each following day to the first mentioned, John 1:19, and you find that the third day is actually the fifth. But how and why?
For that matter, how did the miracle at the wedding reveal Christ's glory? How is Nathanael a key figure in the revelation? All this and more are made clear in this interesting and original approach to the beginning of John's Gospel.
[Note: There is some faint back-chatter in the audio, which was inherited from the archival master cassette. Apparently, the original recording was made to a re-used tape which had not been completely erased. Nevertheless, we're thankful to be able to offer this message despite this audio imperfection.]
Other Scripture Passages Cited:
- John 1:19 — John's first day
- John 1:29 — “the day after” — John's second day
- John 1:35 — “again the next day” — John's third day, Jesus' first day
- John 1:43 — “the following day” — Jesus' second day
- John 2:1 — “and the third day” — Jesus' third day
- Luke 13:31-33
- Genesis 1
- John 3:25-30
- John 20:22
- Luke 24:44-49
- Genesis 27
- Revelation 14:1-5
- Deuteronomy 4:44-48
- Matthew 17:1; Mark 9:2, 30
- Hebrews 12:22-24 (not ch. 13, as in the audio)
- Acts 1:14
- Luke 1:46-47
- Luke 2:48-50
Poems & Choruses Quoted:
- Indifference or When Jesus Came to Golgotha by Geoffrey Studdert-Kennedy
- I've Got the New Wine in My Soul— Editor's note: Unable to find the lyrics of this chorus online, let alone a clear attribution, I'm going to go out on a limb and state from memory:
- The song was performed by (and probably written by) Roy Turner and the Cameron Family
- The lyrics are as follows:
Praise the Lord, His Spirit made me whole!
I'm happy, glad, and free,
As the moments roll!
I've got the new wine in my soul!
Praise the Lord, I'm under His control!
I've said “goodbye” to trouble,
And now I've got the bubble
Of the new wine in my soul!
- The last time I heard this played, it was a from an Cameron Family LP record at the home of John, Bettie, and Gail Tyler (now Yundt). This song, and many other revival choruses, have been reissued on Roy Turner and the Camerons (CD 1). (The reason I can write the lyrics from memory is that this and many other songs from that album are still “singing me” after forty years.)
More Teaching by Percy Gutteridge:
Other free audio messages by Pastor Gutteridge are available on an audio directory on his Finest of the Wheat page, while a growing collection of his books and pamphlets, and message transcriptions, is available on a similar directory on the same page.
We thank Fellowship member Brian Fettes for providing the digitization of the original cassette tape through the services of Audioanalogy Musicworks of Canada.
Subscribe to the Grains from Gutteridge monthly podcast: